Name Change Attorneys

Serving Beaufort, Hilton Head, Bluffton, Walterboro, Ridgeland and Beyond

Upon granting of a final decree of divorce or a decree of separate support and maintenance, South Carolina family courts may allow a party to resume a former surname or the surname of a former spouse. The court must find that the name change is not requested for an improper purpose such as helping a party avoid creditors, criminal prosecution, civil collection efforts or the effects of being placed on a child abuse or sex offender registry.

For a name change not incidental to divorce or separate support and maintenance, the issue gets a little more complicated. The State of South Carolina requires that a person seeking such a change take several steps outlined in the South Carolina Code.

A parent desiring a name change for a child may petition, in writing, a Family Court judge in the appropriate circuit. Petitioning the Court for a name change for a child, however, is different than an adult, and a unique set of procedures must be followed.

At Brown & Norton, we have over 50 years combined experience in Family Law – including name change proceedings. We will work to make the process of changing your name as uncomplicated and understandable as possible.

image image
At Brown & Norton, LLC, our attorneys understand that Family Law and Personal Injury matters can often involve complex and sensitive issues which can have an immediate and lasting impact on you, your family, your finances and your future.